Engineered timber is a multi-layered flooring product consisting of a thin decorative surface layer backed by a cheaper and more stable timber substrate or core.
This allows customers to enjoy the beauty of real timber flooring without the cost and other draw-backs associated with solid timber.
What types of Timber are available?
Flooring Online stocks a range of different products with timber different veneers. Australian species such as Blackbutt and Spotted Gum are timeless, while European Oak is available in natural finishes as well as a range of designer colours.
Are there difference in construction?
Depending on the manufacturer, there are 2 main types of engineered timber flooring constructions:
- 3 Ply – These products are generally constructed with the veneer applied to a pine core, with a spruce backing layer for balancing and stability.
- Multi-ply - These products are constructed with the veneer applied to a multi-layer plywood Core that is inherently stable.
What Are the Benefits?
There are a number of benefits in selecting engineered timber over solid timber flooring
- Engineered timber is much more stable than solid timber. It’s multi-layer construction means it is less susceptible to changes in the environment that can cause cupping, bowing checking and gapping.
- Flooring Online Australia sells only FSC & PEFC certified timber products from sustainable sources. Meaning the core and backing materials are sourced from plantation pine, spruce and poplar forests which reduces the impact of logging on old-growth forests.
- Engineered products can be produced with ‘Click’ locking systems such as Valinge G5 that makes DIY installation easy and ensures strong and consistent joints are achieved every time.
- Engineered timber can be installed either directly adhered to the subfloor to reproduce the solid flooring feeling, dual bonded over a rubber underlay for acoustic purposes or floated over virtually any type of subfloor.
Shop our Engineered Timber Flooring range here.